Brazil and Argentina’s soccer World Cup qualifier was postponed minutes after it began when Brazilian health officials intervened and raised concerns COVID-19 protocols had been broken Sunday.
Driving the news: South American soccer’s governing body, CONMEBOL, confirmed the game at Sao Paulo’s Neo Quimica Arena had been suspended, after Brazilian health officials ran onto the pitch. The players walked off the field with the game at 0-0.
Get market news worthy of your time with Axios Markets. Subscribe for free.
Brazil’s National Health Surveillance Agency (ANVISA) said Argentina’s English Premier League players Giovani Lo Celso, Emiliano Martine, Emiliano Buendia and Cristian Romero submitted “false information” when they entered the country, per AFP.
People arriving from abroad who had spent the previous 14 days in the United Kingdom are required to quarantine quarantine in Brazil.
What they’re saying: Argentina Football Association officials said they had followed protocols set by FIFA, the sport’s world governing body.
The other side: ANVISA director Antonio Barra Torres told Brazilian television that the players hadn’t complied with quarantine requirements, AFP notes.
“We got to this point because everything that ANVISA directed, from the first moment, was not fulfilled,” he said.
Like this article? Get more from Axios and subscribe to Axios Markets for free.